LifeStraw® Family works by forcing water through narrow fibers under high pressure. Clean water exits through tiny pores in the walls of the hollow fibers, but viruses, bacteria, protozoa, and other contaminants are trapped inside the hollow fibers and re-flushed out by backwashing. (Note: Water from the red exit tap should never be consumed.)
How to use LifeStraw® Family
To use LifeStraw® Family, hang the purifier so the red tap is several inches from the ground. Pour collected water through the pre-filter in the dark blue bucket. Open the red tap for 3 seconds to allow water to flush through the filter, and then close the tap. Place a drinking vessel under the blue tap to collect filtered water. When you’re finished, close all the taps, squeeze the red bulb until flat, then open the red tap and let the remaining water drain from the filter.
Tried and tested in the harshest conditions
Award-winning LifeStraw® technology was originally introduced in 2005 as an emergency response tool to filter water often contaminated following natural disasters. Today, LifeStraw® is used in water filtration products around the world.
- Filters 18,000 liters (4,750 gallons) to 0.2 microns
- Removes 99.999% of viruses (>LOG 5 reduction)
- Removes 99.99% protozoa, including Giardia & Cryptosporidium
- Uses no chemicals, batteries, or moving parts
- Removes 99.9999% bacteria, including E-Coli & Salmonella
- No shelf life: can be stored indefinitely